Sunday, April 25, 2010

Geni and other tidbits...

I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about this post... there will be plenty of Geni... which is why I begin with this picture... taken just moments after I birthed her. :)
From this picture, we go back to the week before she was born... when my sister and her little guy came to town to wait for Geni's birth... (she SOOOOO lovingly atched Mel whilst Mark and I were in the hospital.)




We went to the zoo.


Mel and his cousin tried out our new double stroller... neither one loved it- but oh well.


Mel kept pushing his feet on his cousin's seat... which greatly irritated his cousin.



They bathed together.
They wore matching pajamas.
I love this picture.
Until the week before Geni came I hadn't seen either of my sisters in a little less than a year.
Oh how I've missed them!!!!


They stacked cans and boxes from the pantry.

And the day before Geni came, we four went to Cosi, a hands on science museum.
So... This is as belly as I got.


My sister and her little man.
I LOVE this picture.

After playing in the water area, the boys were soaked. Not to worry though, Cosi will dry your clothes. Mel only soaked his pants... thus why he's pants-less. Very funny to me, he is wearing a "Run Forest, Run!" t-shirt here... which is hilarious without pants, whilst wearing tennies.
Here are the four of us.
I want to give a little shout out for my baby carrier... which clearly I still use, though Mel is nigh unto two years, and I have been extremely pregnant. It's THAT good.

Then... The next day at 2:00 ish a.m. I woke with an intense braxton hick... it happened again... and I woke Mark at 2:09.
I laid in bed switching sides for about another half hour, wondering if this was really the beginning.
Then we timed the contractions for an hour. They were every 4 min.
Mark took a shower, after which I showered. It was so nice I didn't want to get out.
My intent had been to take my time, get a little bit ready, pack a bag, and leave for the hospital- hoping that by the time we arrived I would be dialated to at least a three, and would therefore be admitted and not sent home. :)
That was my plan... but once I got out of the shower... I had to stay on my hands and knees during the contractions, which were getting closer... and I could barely dress myself.
I finally did... and started throwing up right before we left for the hospital.
I cried the whole way there... the contractions were so intense, and I was panicking that I was being a huge pansy, and that the hospital would turn me away.
We arrived at the hospital around 5:45 a.m.-
All the way up to labor and delivery I would stop and get on my hands and knees for every contraction. We finally made it there- and when checked imagine my surprise when they told me I was dialated to a 9 and 1/2!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry folks, I still got an epidural, which slowed my labor way down- putting contractions at 5 min. intervals instead of the 2 they had been.
It was wonderful. They knew I would deliver within the hour, so they didn't even give me a drip epidural, just the initial dose- but seriously... amazing. :) I still felt the contractions, but they felt just like braxton hicks- like a muscle flexing.
The rest is history. I pushed for 7 contractions, and Geni was there.











In our rush to get out the door, we didn't pack anything for Geni!!! Can you believe it? So when we brought her home she wore two shirts from the hospital, one on top, and one on bottom. :)
Mel finally took interest in Geni once we got home.


Okay people- we'd JUST gotten home when this one was taken... meaning my hair hadn't been washed in ages... but I love it anyway because Mel is so darn cute in it.


Auntie and cousin with Geni... Cousin was practically hyperventillating he was so excited about the baby.








There are her eyes!!!



She looks NOTHING like what Mel did. I can't wait to see who she becomes.




cousins playing outside... it was SOOOOO nice to come home and be with Mel again.


Mel loves to wear my glasses. I know it'll ruin his eyes... but I just can't tell him no.

more of Geni.


And more...




And more...



more...




Us having our first outing... dinner at Hoggys....




A bath... Look! She has hair! It's just all in the back. :)



Whilst in the hospital, two robins built a nest on our fence... today we saw their eggs.






Mel and Mark watching a rain storm.



Geni today.

Whew. I don't expect anyone will have made it to the end... this post was really just for me to document our last week and 1/2... so wonderful.
I can't begin to describe how happy I am- how blessed I feel!

10 comments:

Kara Simmons. said...

Geni is beautiful!! I loved reading the birth story. You are such a strong woman Britta. Seriously. And you look absolutely radiant and so happy in every single picture! I love it. I love all of her adorable clothes. Hope you guys are doing well and I am hoping she is a good sleeper for you to get some rest!

Meredith said...

Oh Comrade, she is gorgeous!! Seriously. And Mel is as cute as ever. I love the picture of you guys on the couch. :)

I'm so happy for you and your family! I wish I was there so I could come visit you and cuddle your little Geni!

Sarah said...

Sounds like it's been a wonderful last few weeks. And Bricky...I can NOT believe you were dilated to a 9 1/2 when you got to the hospital. That is CRAZY...I am SO impressed! (I know you didn't plan for it to be that way but still...I was wilting at a 4!! :0)) Anyway, Geni is ADORABLE! Félicitations encore ma chère amie :0)

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

What a great story and of course I made it to the end of the post! I loved all of the pictures (she is such a pretty baby!) and am so glad that the family is doing great. I'm so happy you had some help!

dustin and amy said...

Britta!! I'm so happy for you guys! She is sooo cute and little Mel, what a doll face! I love that I can keep up with you guys now!

Marie said...

AHHHHH! I loved this post! What an amazing birth story...a 9 1/2?!? You are wonder woman. Mel is so big and handsome and I can't believe you now have a precious little girl! Oh how I wish we could still play :(

I still remember first meeting you and Mel in the nursing room at church and now I can't believe we have our second babies!! Sooooo crazy.

Congratulations Britta and family! I am so happy for you all.

Wendy said...

wahoo! i can't wait to meet her. such a pretty girl. way to go on your labor and delivery. i come back on the 10th so i will be seeing you soon. i love that the robins nested on your fence.

Lorren Says... said...

You are amazing! Geni is so beautiful. Congratulations!!

clintandmegtucker said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations and welcome to the world of two kids! I am so happy for you guys!

A House United said...

I'm so happy for you guys! I think of you all the time! The kiddies are lovely, ofcourse!