Friday, December 5, 2008

les delish-usssss...recipes...

A few of my favorite things.... to eat.

Aunt Ruth's Frozen Goodness... aka "Ruthies" aka... none of us know the actual name...

2 crushed ripe bananas
2 cups sour creme
3/4 cups sugar
8 ounce can crushed pineapple with the juice
2 tbl spoon lemon juice
1/2 cup colorful marshmallows
2 tbl spoon chopped maraschino cherries
muffin baking cups

mix all together and spoon into muffin baking cups (in muffin tins of course) and freeze.
You'll want to take them out of the freezer 5 min. or so before eating so they aren't rock hard. Remove from muffin paper cup. Aunt Ruth always served them on a single leaf of iceburg lettuce. I don't. :)

also.... I change the recipe... instead of sour creme, try fat free plain yogurt... and use more pineapple... if it's runnier it won't matter... it's all frozen. Also... I end up using like half a bag of marshmallows..And... most importantly... use like the entire small jar of the cherries... they are the best part! And... pour in the cherry juice in too... yum.


Hearty Potato Soup (the easiest soup in the world!)

6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, diced
6 celery stalks, diced*** I use mushrooms instead!!! much better!(a ton of mushrooms!)
2 quarts water
1 onion, chopped
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 tablespoons flour
1 tsp. salt
1tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups milk

1. In large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots, and celery (if you choose to use it) in water until tender (20 min). Drain, reserving liquid and setting veggies aside.
2. In the same kettle saute onion (and mushrooms if you are using them) until soft.
3. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and other seasoning; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
4. Gently stir in cooked veggies.
5. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking water until soup is desired consistency.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Again... I don't use celery... or if I do, not very much... instead I use a ton of mushrooms... and it is DEeeeelish. I also use more carrot than is called for. I love this recipe because it uses stuff I almost always have on hand.

3 comments:

A House United said...

Lovely recipe. :) I will try to hold her in until you come. There is a good chance she may come while you are here. But I don't want to miss a moment of your visit, so I wish she would come today! I don't want to steal your thunder. I honestly can not wait for you guys to get here!
P.S. How much does Melvin weigh? I got the cutest little outfit for him and grabbed the wrong size and they won't let me return it, but it may still work.

Sarah said...

Potato Soup....I made it tonight! Sam and I give it four stars. Yum. :)

Mamma Meg said...

Well I am not entirely sure how I feel about what you have done to our beloved Ruthies. But I am willing to give it a try and expect you to make it for me when you come. I LOVE the original Ruthies and would gladly eat them morning, noon, and night until I am gumming the little marshmallows with my no-teeth.

As for the picture...Google images. I just asked for a "wrinkled old lady" and that is what I got. I love it. I want to frame her and hang her in my living room.