Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mel's Bump

We thought it necessary to post some pictures of Mel's injury he received Saturday evening.... Here is the tough little guy after HOURS and HOURS spent screaming at the children's urgent care close by. The WORST part, by far was the FOUR different x-ray sessions, each consisting of 3-4 x-rays.... they had to "mummify" him time and again... but he's no average baby. He kept breaking free. Even when they taped him to the table and held him down... he still broke through.
It was awful to say the least... But the good news- he is fine. No skull fractures, no concussion- just a huge goose egg. In these pictures his bump actually looks pretty good. When he was screaming it was honestly at least twice this size.
I honestly feel it is a miracle. He so easily could have had a serious and permanent head injury. I have never been so scared in my life as I was when all this happened, and then waiting to know the results of the x-rays.
I am SOOOOOOO grateful to God that He listened to our prayers, and the prayers of family. Mel is okay- but it could have been otherwise in a big way.
Often when something awful happens, you pray and pray and pray that everything will be well... and then comes the outcome. Either things are as you hoped, or they aren't. Often when things go well, we are grateful, but easily forget how awful it could have been, and that it IS a miracle- or gift straight from God. I don't want to EVER forget. I want to keep these feelings of gratitude fresh always.
The two pictures above are right after we got home from the hospital.


This picture was taken today- just one day later... his eye is REALLY swollen... though it doesn't look like it here... but doesn't he look a million times better?


Mel at the park today- clearly as active as ever... though looking around his swollen eye tissue bothers him.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW! What happened? Poor little guy, and poor parents...I am sure that was a frightening experience! But like you said, what a blessing that he's OK. Bricky, thanks for your reminder that a loving Heavenly Father IS watching out AND answers prayers.

Lorren Says... said...

Oh no! you'll have to blog about what happened. I'm so glad he's doing better!.

Marie said...

Oh no! Poor little Mel! This post reminded me of what happened at Cosi to Jack. But Mel's looks A LOT worse! What happened? I'm so sorry they had to try to strap him down.....probably the WORST thing a parent can watch, huh? I'm SO glad he's okay. Thanks for the reminder to always be grateful.

Meredith said...

Poor little Mel! I am SO glad things turned out okay! I'm sure that is SO scary to go through as a parent :S

A House United said...

yes... what happened??

Mamma Meg said...

Yikes, even though you said it looks better in the pics than in real life...it looks MUCH worse than I thought it would. I am soooooo happy and grateful that he is ok. Kids...they are awful really. Like little fragile time bombs. Ugh!