Friday, March 6, 2009

what a day. :(

Here is a cute picure of Mel at our friends house. :) They kept blowing bubbles for his viewing pleasure, he was obviously entranced. This was, of course, before , all the trauma.


The last couple days have probably been THE worst days EVVVVVER!!!!! All you mothers out there will relate, I am sure.
It all started like four days ago... Mel was a bit more cranky than usual... but as we know, he is 9 months old, and can't yet verbalize the trouble.
Was it that he was, and is still, SERIOUSLY teething? Could it have been the baby food? Too many solids? Bowel problems? Was he getting enough to drink? Was it something I ate that was making my breast milk bother him? Was he too hot, or too cold at night? An earache? What?????????
And then, maybe nothing at all. Oh bother. I hate all the guesswork that goes with babies!
Finally, day before last, he woke up from his nap with a slight fever-- partially relieved to have at least another piece in the puzzle, I took him to the pediatrician. Problem solved- an ear infection.
So, we promptly picked up the antibiotics,and gave him baby Motrin. He seemed much better. He went to sleep... until about 1:30 a.m. when he woke up SCREAMING and crying and VERY VERY hot. I tried the foolproof comfort, breastfeeding... he nursed, but not well- he was restless, hot, and kept arching his back as far from me as possible and crying.
I started to get scared. What do you do? And of course, Mark was still sleeping. So, I picked up the baby monitor, and called for him to come help me give Mel more Motrin.
Mark came in, and turned on the lamp to see about the Motrin, and it freaked Mel out-- he got all stiff, his eyes went funky, and his limbs started to jerk. I have sense learned, that is how fever induced baby seizures are described. Supposedly harmless-- but you can imagine-- I was FREAKED OUT!!!! SO SCARED! Within a couple moments he returned to a more normal state-- but remained restless and unhappy, I kid not, THE ENTIRE REST OF THE NIGHT.
We gave up on sleep at 6:30, and Mark got ready for work.
Mel pretty much continued like that all yesterday. I ended up calling the pediatrician 4 or 5 times about various concerns, and in the end went back to their office late yesterday afternoon because Mel was completely inconsolable, wasn't making good eye contact, and was breathing really weird, and had been for hours.
We were there a pretty long time as the various professionals watched and monitored his breathing and behavior-- and in the end, he doesn't an ear infection-- just a virus of sorts, and they sent us to a children's hospital for chest x-rays.
We still don't know about the results of those, but were told to follow-up with our pediatrician in a few days, so if there is a problem, it's no emergency.
By the end of off of this, is was 6:30. Mark had met Mel and I right before we went to the Children's hospital... so for the majority of all of this I was COMPLETELY alone and losing my mind with worry. Melvin was breaking my heart! He was so scared and hurting, and was clinging to me, but crying all the while- and he looked horrible and ... and... and.... it was scary scary scary! I don't know how to convey how awful the whole experience, from start to finish was!
Once we finally got home, and Mel asleep for the first time since 1:30 a.m. , I just laid in bed and cried.
Then, Mel woke up again, and seemed quite a bit better. We've been super vigilant about the Tylenol and Motrin, and thankfully, he slept pretty well last night, and his fever is gone... at least with the drugs. :)
So there. Now, it is 10:42 a.m. our time, and Mel has been asleep for an hour. I can tell, it's going to be a MUCH better day today.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so scary!! Poor little Mel. I've been dying to talk to you but with the dang time difference I haven't called yet. Today during lunch.

Meredith said...

HOLY COW!!! That is super scary. Poor little guy! Motherhood sounds scary.

Wendy said...

yikes! the horror. sounds terrible- i hope mel is doing better , poor little guy. i haven't heard of that siezure thing. that would have freaked me out too.

Kara Simmons. said...

How sad! Poor Mel and poor you! I hope he gets better soon!

Lorren Says... said...

I am so, so sorry! You must have been scared out of your mind. I am so glad he's feeling better. What a terrible incident.

Mamma Meg said...

Your blog is not updating on my side bar!!! Grrrr... What the heck! So, I am so glad that I already knew this story or I would be furious that I just found out by reading an old post. Good grief.